 Off-Topic / Fun / 5132
Re: Evidence of Warm Blooded Dinosaurs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:35:28 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

obnotherdinotopic:  Brontosauri and related dinos probably gave live birth.
Many bronto nests have been found, but no eggs.  Additionally, due to the size
of the embryonic bronto, the egg shell wouldn've had to been so thick that the
mom would've had to *jump* on it for the baby to hatch.  ...Then again, that
could've been why they went extinct.  :-,

Ichthyosaurs absolutely did (there's a famous fossil of an Ophthalmosaurus that
died while giving birth and was somehow fossilized), so there's no reason that
archosaurs didn't.  Oh, regarding that end-of-the-sauropods argument, there are
fossil representatives of late camarosaurs (I believe) in the late Cretaceous.
Granted, these were "little" (~10m) sauropods, but they were still
around--although I have a feeling they were limited to extremely warm climes.  The
ceratopsians and hadrosaurs were the ones who really flourished with the takeover
of deciduous plants.

best

Lindsay