 Off-Topic / Fun / 5130
Re: Evidence of Warm Blooded Dinosaurs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:49:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
Anyone interested in Dinosaurs should check this out:
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53547-2000Apr20.html>

Oh man, it's funny how the media is taking this as a bold new theory that is
just now seeing the light of day.  Horner, Bakker et al. published their
thoughts on this stuff -- with much media fanfare -- ten years ago or so.
Much of the backstory in _Jurassic Park_ depended upon this theory.  I did my
11th grade English term paper on this stuff in 1989.  (I contend then as now
that dinos in general were decidedly *not* ectothermic.  :-)

The article, to me, seemed to be saying that this was the most conclusive
evidence found yet...  Of course, I could've misinterpreted it.  :)

Pretty cool, huh?  :)

A four-chambered heart?  You bet!  :-,  However, crocs have 4-chamered hearts,
yet their oxy-rich and oxy-poor blood is still mixed in a most inefficient
way.  Add to that the fact that the alleged fossilied heart is from an
unidentified specimen.  I'm not sure that the 4 chambers can really sway the
endothermic argument one way or the other just yet.

Unidentified specimen?  It is from a Thescelosaurus...  The best example yet...
Also, see my post on the other branch of this thread on my theory about the
four-chambered heart.  :)

No, I still base my pro-endothermic opinion from the size and count of blood
vessels through the dino bones, from the enormous lung capacity they had, from
the fact that few juvenile dinos are present in the fossil record, and from
the sheer size that some of them grew to.

If you ever find what the earliest reptilian specimen with a large blood vessel
count in the bones is, let me know.  I'd like to see where it fits in with the
theory I presented a couple m,inutes ago...  :)

obnotherdinotopic:  Brontosauri and related dinos probably gave live birth.

Blasphemy!!  Brontosaurs don't exist!  :D

Jeff