 Off-Topic / Fun / 4384
Re: SPAM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 05:31:54 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Shiri Dori writes:

I received the same letter
from the same person (perhaps after she realized you aren't gonna answer) and
answered her, also asking who this is. She replied saying thanks a lot, and
that she ordered the sunshine house for $49, and that her name is Diana.

Cool stuff - I'm glad that it had a happy ending! :)

Saddens me.  I would've rather believed it a lame attempt to glean emails.

This is not the first mail I receive that is not signed. Many people forget
this, especially if they are young/inexperienced with lego, like Larry
mentioned. I've received two other unsigned letters, which I answered while
asking who is this. They both answered and added their name the second time.

If this seems like spam to you, so be it - but there are people out there just
trying to figure something out.

I think we are all guilty sometimes of forgetting that LEGO predominately
attracts children, and adults need as much help and consideration sometimes
too!

Yeah, I guess I am guilty of expecting someone to be able to formulate a question
which doesn't resemble some form spam letter.

Is there some equivalent of a www.lugnet.com/newbie/ page? Something that
people in a hurry could point newbies at,

Time wasn't the issue.  I am happy to help anyone who wants it.  Really.  It's
just that this person was so clueless that I didn't even recognize it as a
legitimate request.  Personally, I think that anyone who would respond to such an
email as it was would be taking a big chance.

-John

which explained things like S@H, in
nice easy terms? I mean - the information is all there on LUGNET, but the mass
of options and sheer amount of data available could put-off beginners?

Actually, it wouldn't even need to be hosted by LUGNET, but it would have the
benefit of being a memorable URL as opposed to one which people would have to
look up and therefore might not bother. Freely registering something like
come.to/newbielegoinfo might work too.. anyway!

Richard