 Off-Topic / Fun / 4376
Re: SPAM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 22:33:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
I don't see how that could be spam or even a spam harvest attempt. Call me
gullible I guess, but it just strikes me as someone who's relatively clueless
at the moment, perhaps young. I get notes, from people I am convinced are
youngsters, asking the most basic questions, or asking if I want to sell stuff
for ridiculously low prices, more than once a week.

I usually try to reply.

I see that one the same way.  I get a lot of those too.  I try to
reply to the honest clueless questions, even though I'm easily annoyed
by them.

What's more annoying is when someone sends some 'official communique
of the _____ empire' asking for a treaty with Zacktron or claming they
attacked me, etc.  Usually they're followed by some really silly
sucking up.  Those irritate me - and I'm probably just weird that way.
I get short with people when they want to 'play Zacktron' and explain
that its a 100% closed storyline and the independent project of
Brandon and I (my friend, who isn't on Lugnet).  That side of it is
clearly my problem...but still, irritating.

I also get the 'I submitted my site to the webring _ weeks ago, and
why haven't I been added?' which is always my fault (unless they don't
put their source on the page), which irritate me, but I reply very
kindly and get to the site addition right away.

And then the weekly LDraw help question, my fault, because we don't
have a help desk set up on ldraw.org yet (it is in the works, though).
Those I usually refer to lugnet.cad.

Back to spam, I set up a convenient filter with my email program.  If
'tim@zacktron.com' is not present in the To: or Cc: field, it sends it
to a folder marked 'Spam?' where I delete spam and grab non-spam.  I
used to take the time to parse each spam through SpamCop
(http://spamcop.net) and complain to ISPs, which successfully
cancelled numerous accounts.  But now I'm too lazy I guess.  I think
in the future I'll subscribe to the SpamCop email service and work
something crazy out where incoming mail to tim@zacktron.com goes
through there, and then forwards to a hidden email account, giving me
spam-free email.

Another little thing is - I hate banner ads with a passion.  I ended
up getting this neat little internet manager called InterQuick free
with registration of FTP Voyager.  It filters out banner ads,
background sound, popup ads, and the like SEAMLESSLY, so I load pages
on large websites which run the ads - and see nothing, like nothing
was ever supposed to be there.  Its so frikkin' cool!

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne