 Off-Topic / Fun / 2985
Re: Well this gives a new meaning to Spam...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:04:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Simon Robinson wrote:
Sorry, I guess this is a bit off-topic. That's me tending to
use lugnet.general as the all-purpose place for any general
chats with people I know from lugnet that don't fit in anywhere
else.

lugnet.general is for general _LEGO-related_ stuff that doesn't fit anywhere
else...but not for general non-LEGO stuff.  Here again is the charter of
lugnet.general:

   General community discussion of LEGO® sets, themes, promotions, characters,
   business units, parks, histories, future plans, catalogs, item pricing and
   availability, etc.; also, community-wide discussion of experiences and
   ideas (set collection, educational usage, observations, original stories,
   games, holiday fun, rumors, musings, weird dreams, etc.)

So yes, a thread about spam is wildly off-topic for lugnet.general (unless
you got some LEGO spam (e.g., from TLG), in which case it would have been
quite *on*-topic!  :)

And as Larry and you have pointed out - there doesn't
seem to be anywhere better for this thread.

Perhaps we need a lugnet.off-topic.chat for threads that
are serious, not Lego related, and not debate-oriented :)

No we don't!

The word "chat" these days is ruined anyway...  People see the word "chat"
and immediately think synchronous word-based N-to-N communication (as opposed
to netnews, which is a form asynchronous word-based N-to-N communication).

There, now we can talk about it in .debate

(or .fun, depending on whether you think it was or wasn't a python
reference)

[...]
Seriously, maybe we DO need a "chat" if the .fun charter isn't broad
enough. That makes it an admin question so I cross posted there.

Maybe something like  .off-topic.rant  or (as someone once suggested)
.off-topic.kvetch  or  .off-topic.diatribe ?

We've got .fun for fun and upbeat things (solo or group), .debate for
arguments (takes 2+ to debate, I guess), .geek for geeking out (solo or
group), but no group for non-fun, non-upbeat, non-geeking, non-debating
things.  Also no group for pure frivolousness (a la Sproat's & TomMcD's
excellent bs sessions), although .fun seems to work OK for those.

The spam thread could probably squeeze into .off-topic.geek or .publish
better than .off-topic.fun, but .off-topic.rant would be primo for this
sort of thing.  Have we had many rants in the past?

--Todd