 Off-Topic / Fun / 2050
Re: What is "powerful"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:20:12 GMT

"Moz (Chris Moseley)" <moz1@ihug.com.au> writes:

I'm still trying to set the blimmin machine up. I've had it a month
and so far the best I've managed is WinNT plus Win98, modem under 98
only, no sound, network or SCSI controller. Adding any of Linux, SCSI
or NIC breaks at least one of the existing OS's, usually both.

In my experience, it is best to start with the OS that is least used to
coexist with others on the same computer.  I start with Windows 95 (for
me, older is better, since I want the smallest possible OS that lets me
use the games and LDraw-stuff I want).  When it's all finished, I
install Linux on the rest.  The LILO bootloader gets installed over the
Windows 95 bootloader, which means that I can choose upon bootup which
system I want.

I had far more problems getting Windows 95 to accept my SCSI CD-ROM and
soundcard then Linux.  Linux was largely plug-and-play, while in W95 I
had to fiddle around a lot before I could use the CD-ROM.  And I had to
physically unplug the modem to successfully install the soundcard.

It is a very good idea to maintain the swap partition even with 256MB
RAM.  Linux crashed once when I had just installed it, simply because it
didn't have any swap yet.  I don't quite recall what I did to use that
much memory, but it was probably quite heavy...

Fredrik