 Off-Topic / Fun / 2049
Re: What is "powerful"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:10:04 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote in message ...
"Tegntabell ikke klargjort"
In English: "Character? table not ready."

It made as much sense to me in Norweigan, I'm afraid.

Oh, and I was careless enough to let Windows format a DOS-partition the
other day.  Of course, it also wrecked one of my Linux-partitions.

It does that. I let Win98 "fix" a FAT16 partition the other day, and it
turns 400MB of assorted files into 500 files each 16kB long. Fortunately
it was just the drive I use to transfer files between silly operating
systems so no data was lost, just time. Why is it that Linux will
happily accept that two HDDs have Win98 and WinNT, one booting off each
disk, plus sundry partitions, but every time Win98 detects more than one
primary partition it "fixes" it, and WinNT keeps trying to use the Linux
swap partition. Seriously, it detects it as NTFS and then says "error
writing to disk", writing just enough to toast the swap. Of course,
with 256MB of RAM the swap is largely decorative, but I like to have
it there just in case.

I'm still trying to set the blimmin machine up. I've had it a month and
so far the best I've managed is WinNT plus Win98, modem under 98 only,
no sound, network or SCSI controller. Adding any of Linux, SCSI or NIC
breaks at least one of the existing OS's, usually both. Unfortunately
starting with Linux prevents either OS from installing properly as they
don't seem to like partitions of type "unknown".

I suspect the best solution is to "Microsoft multitask" - have one machine
per OS, and be done with it.

Moz