 Off-Topic / Fun / 2041
Re: What is "powerful"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:33:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tore Eriksson writes:
So I have a Pentium 450 with 12 Gb HD and 128 Mb RAM and Win98. It takes
two minutes from power-on to have get a blank notepad window opened.
Same thing takes less than a minute on my old Pentium 120 with Win95. It
took less than 20 seconds from power-on to launch Norton Commander on my
286, and my Luxor ABC-80 loaded its Basic compiler (well, sort of
Basic...) even before the monitor was lit.
[...]

Isn't "progress" great?  ;-)

For some reason, the word "powerful" seems to me more and more equal to
"slow". Yes, I know I'm not fair. The same POV rendering that took 5:57
on my P120 takes 1:03 on my P450. But while some "cool" effects like 3D
stuff get faster, it seems the basics like booting up, checking mailbox,
plain word processing gets slower the more "powerful" your hard- and
software is.

Well, chalk that behavior up as being courtesy of your operating system
vendor.

They want booting and every other normal aspect of computing to be slower
and slower each year so that you need to buy faster and faster processors
to compensate.  It's been that way at least as far back as 1985...  :-(

--Todd