 Off-Topic / Fun / 1916
Re: An interesting diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:27:34 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
And what the heck is Fluevog?

Fluevog is a spicy Indonesian delicacy made from mongoose flank meat,
penguin spleens and fermented taro leaves.  It has a flavor reminiscent of
honey-marinated cashews and salted poi.  It's served wrapped around a bamboo
skewer, and traditionally was to be eaten standing and facing the sunset
wind at the summer solstice.  According to legend, one must chew each bite
seven times before swallowing.

Fluevog has a long and colorful history.  Fluevog was consumed at rare state
occasions, weddings, war reparations, and at suppertime.  The love of
Sikorsky, the mythical princess from Papau, was eventually won over a
fluevog feast.  General McArthur celebrated his return to the Phillipenes
with a stick of fluevog and a sip of kava.

There is speculation that it was actually introduced by James Cook after his
visit to the Wapuni Wu -- which would significantly reduce the length of its
history in Indonesia -- though it's equally likely that fluevog is really a
Chinese import.

Some people like it dipped in guanara juice, but I prefer mine with mango or
peach salsa.  Pace's roasted pepper and garlic picante sauce is also very
good.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Darth Maul Lives