 Off-Topic / Fun / 1907
Re: An interesting diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:24:59 GMT

Terry K wrote:

Hey,

I came across this interesting page:
http://www.danzen.com/grimreaper/

It asks a series of odd questions and then guesses your age.  For me, it
guessed 35.  Pretty close, as I am 37.

Supposedly, the answers people give serve to furthur refine the accuracy of
future guesses.

It's confused... I guessed 21, after I said I had watched the first moon
landing (hey, we even came home from a camping trip to watch it - one of
my top remembered TV watching situations - I was going to say the most
remembered, but then I remembered watching the Challenger
coverage...)... On only two questions did my answers appear to "jibe"
with the calculations (judging by its saying whether it was adding or
subtracting one from the relavance)... One problem is that it wants to
pick 30 for your age if you said yes to watching the first moon landing,
which it not even quite old enough to actually have seen the first moon
landing (well, ok, a 30 year old could have watched the Apollo 11
landing from their crib...).

This got me to thinking of the most readily remembered TV watching
sequences, I'm going to free associate here. (after a brief spoiler
space in case you want to think before seeing my answers)....

Somewhat in order of "vividness":

Apollo 11 landing

Challenger disaster coverage

The plane crash in Sioux City where the plane cartwheeled

A shuttle launch watched in college

A shuttle launch watched at school in high school

A kids show I don't remeber the title of which took place in a tree
house like setting (this one is somewhat foggy, and I wouldn't put it
here except there is one image which I can't describe which ALWAYS comes
up when I think of early TV watching - I'd love to figure out what show
this actually is)

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood:
   - the opening shot of the neighborhood
   - the trolley
   - Mr. Rogers comming into the house and taking his sweater off

Lost In Space
   - "danger, danger, Will Robinson"

Hurricane Fran coverage

San Francisco earthquake where the freeway fell down

Ok, I'm starting to strain to think of things, free association period
over...

At first, I thought I was going to be able to say that the space program
overwhelmingly was represented, but I notice a lot of children's shows
also. I've gone back and put a couple details in (one thing I did have
to change, I had been thinking we had come home from camping to watch
the Apollo 11 launch, when looking at the details it is clear we came
home to see the landing, which does actually make more sense). In pretty
much all of these situations, I can also remember details of the
location I was watching these shows in.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com