 Off-Topic / Fun / 165
Re: Overclocking Celeron 300a to 450
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 03:32:35 GMT

I'm not sure about most of this..but there *is* a little tool that uses a
modular
line to make a printer connection...they use them at work....
I can't remember the name off-hand, but It converts
parallel ->modular ->parallel so you don't have to worry about sticking
those big Parallel cables through a wall or anything....

Eggy

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...

Well, I proved it worked today.  I'm still getting the system up and
running (have to look for another sound card - SB Live! didn't like my
system and I don't have the patience to deal with it) but preliminary
benchmarks show it to be running at least as fast as my P2-400 at
work.

At $171 for the retail boxed processor and $105 for the Abit BH6
motherboard, I'm pretty happy with my $276 combo that might just
perform as well as the $820 combo I would have to buy to get a true
P2-450.  And my cache runs at full speed, not half the CPU speed like
the normal P2.

Putting it all in a GIGANTIC ATX tower case - more room than I've ever
seen.  I need to order a few fans from PC Power & Cooling to ensure
good airflow and temp, though.

And yeah, I'm rambling, but I've had a lot of fun with this system and
this is off-topic.fun after all.

Running Win98 on the system now.  Once I add a SCSI adapter and UW
drive (building it in bits and pieces now) I will probably throw Linux
on it and see how it likes it.

On another front, I'm wanting to move our computers our of our current
computer room for two reasons.  1) I need the room for Lego stuff -
stuff that is taking up room in both our living and dining rooms.  2)
Heat - that room gets pretty darn hot in the summer and stays warm in
the winter even with the window open.

I don't want my ISDN TA and my three printers to be vulnerable to our
cats (I love them but I can't have them screwing that stuff up), so I
want to leave those in the current room while moving our computers out
to another room.

Only problem is, I will need to have some way to print to all 3 of our
printers from the computers in the other rooms.  The only ways *I*
know to do that are to hang a 3-4 port print server box off my hub or
to put together a cheap system to run as the print server.  Actually,
the computer option is the better one because I can have it run
Wingate as well and pass the net stuff along to the other rooms.

Only thing is, I don't think I can do both of those with Linux.  It
may be possible, I just don't think *I* can do it.  Oh well, enough
rambling.  Gotta go scope out low-end systems.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET