 Off-Topic / Fun / 167
Re: Overclocking Celeron 300a to 450
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:24:20 GMT

Chris Barnes <chris@barnes.net> wrote:
Have you benchmarked this system against the P2-450.  If it works out I may
have to consider that a real alternative.  I am just leery of the Celeron at
this point.

I don't have a P2-450 handy to run real tests on, but I can say that
it seems to keep up with my P2-400 quite well.  Just based on straight
WinBench numbers it falls in the middle of a P2-400 roundup at PCMag,
and the ones ahead of it have much better hard drives, so I think
that's the real difference.  I'm still debating going SCSI on this
system or not.  With some of the IBM 7200rpm UDMA drives as cheap as
they are it is kinda hard to justify it.  For the cost of putting an
UW controller, a 9.1gb UW drive, and a Plextor 14/32 CDROM in my
system I can get 2 10gb 7200 UDMA drives and a DVD kit.

The original Celrons took a real performance hit because of the lack
of cache.  The 300a and 333a make up for only having 128k cache by
having it work twice as fast.  So they run almost as fast as the same
P2 speed, both from what I have read and from what I have seen so far.

Even if mine eventually performs only a little better than my P2-400
at work (once I get a nice HD in it) I'll be thrilled.  I put this
system together, including a 19" monitor and super video card, for
right at $1400.

as far as printing it sounds like a print server would work well for your
situation.  I haven't priced them lately but we use products from both HP and
Intel.  one 10base-T port on the network and you get 3 printer ports.

Nah, won't go that route, and not just because it wouldn't solve my
ISDN routing problem.  I will put together a K6-2 266 system with 64mb
of RAM for a decent bit less than the $350+ 3 port print servers I
have seen.  I may end up maxing it out ram-wise at some point and
throwing a huge HD in it to use as a fileserver later, especially if I
decide to switch over to 100mb.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET