 Off-Topic / Fun / 1141
1140  |  1142
Subject:
Etymology of "mecha" and possible fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:27:57 GMT

Hey "mecha" fans,

I need a new word to describe large, walking machines with bad attitudes.
(1)  The word in vogue right now -- "mecha" -- is an English transliteration
of a Japanese transliteration of the English word "machinery", which could
describe a Thunderhead Drive Industries BashMaimKill Destroyer Mark XVIIa as
well as an electic bread dough mixer.  This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
(2)

I'm looking for a better word.  Does anyone have any ideas?  What is used in
the popular media other than "mecha" or "mech"?

I think I'm starting to prefer the German "Gefahrengut", which the LEO
German <-> English Dictionary (3) tells me means "dangerous goods".

There's also "die Tollkirshen", meaning "deadly nightshades".  I like this
one because it almost sounds like JRR Tolkien's name, but it doesn't really
refer to a machine.  Perhaps I'll use this to designate a group of
assassins.  They can all wear sunglasses.  And work at night.

Arg, I'm stumped...

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I'm also skeptical of the notion that large, walking devices of
questionable coordination will rule the industries and battlefields of the
future, but that's a topic I'm going to leave on the back burner for now.
:-P

2.  Curiously, the word "anime" (an English transliteration of a Japanese
transliteration of the English word "animation") doesn't give me any
problems.  I'm not going to worry about that right now, either.  :-,

3.  http://dictionaries.travlang.com/GermanEnglish/

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)