 Off-Topic / Fun / 1154
Re: Etymology of "mecha" and possible fixes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:41:28 GMT

Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey "mecha" fans,

I need a new word to describe large, walking machines with bad attitudes.
(1)  The word in vogue right now -- "mecha" -- is an English transliteration
of a Japanese transliteration of the English word "machinery", which could
describe a Thunderhead Drive Industries BashMaimKill Destroyer Mark XVIIa as
well as an electic bread dough mixer.  This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
(2)

I think "mecha" comes from "mechanized", as in "mechanized battle armor".  FASA
(I think) took it and "Americanized" it to "mech".

2.  Curiously, the word "anime" (an English transliteration of a Japanese
transliteration of the English word "animation") doesn't give me any
problems.  I'm not going to worry about that right now, either.  :-,

"Anime" is from French, BTW.  In Japan, anything animated is called anime,
including Disney.

Jeff