 Off-Topic / Fun / 10929
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:03:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Runnels wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   I still haven’t heard a good rationale for moderated forums other than “I want to be the boss”. A good bit of the support for moderated forums seems to come from moderators (or those who want to be moderators).

You caught us. That’s the whole reason. Yup.

I’m still waiting for that rationale...
Perhaps you are rather waiting for somebody to say, “You’re right!”?

   Aren’t the “whiners” and “complainers” just people you disagree with?
No, they’re not. A forum with rational discussion is the intent with CSF, just like it is with lugnet.space. But when it doesn’t happen, it’s nice to be able steer it back on track.

Please understand that we’re not saying this isn’t a good place. It has served us well for years. What we are saying is that Classic-Space Forums is a place that is more responsive, smaller to manage, and more focused on space. IMO, this forum has just not continued to adapt as the community needs it to.

   I’m sure they don’t see themselves as whiners and complainers.
No whiner ever does.

   I will miss seeing all the great MOCs in .space, just as I lament the diminished traffic in .castle.
To clarify, you won’t see them all in one forum. But they’ll still be on the web. And Lugnet hasn’t ever been the only place to view space MOCs.

   As I said the last time this issue was raised, I guess some people would rather be a big fish in a small pond.
This illustration keeps coming up. In response, I will suggest this: if you think that it’s true, then lurk and read the forum. Compare your hypothesis to what actually happens over time. I invite you to actually read it, and make up your mind based on the real results of the new forum.

An additional note here: Lugnet was started by a couple big fish. Lugnet has been developed by big fish. Lugnet is curated by big fish. They are welcomed to be big fish in the new forum too. They got to be big fish for a reason. And by the way, little fish grow into big fish. We invite everybody, including the big fish, to come grow with us into even bigger fish.

The “small pond” size issue doesn’t even apply. This is the world-wide web. We’re already an ocean.

   You guys started the Classic Space forums to appeal to the 13-and-under crowd? You don’t get enough posts on your MOCs in .space saying “Hey, that’s really cool!”?
This is irrelevant.

   So what exactly are your demands from LUGNET? Emoticons? Avatars? I’ve heard a lot of griping about LUGNET, but few concrete grievances.
Apparently you can live with Lugnet. That’s cool.

I don’t really demand anything from Lugnet: I’ve just found a place that suits me a bit better for my spacey needs. This isn’t rocket science. Although if I were to demand anything, I’d name the idea that I should be in a position to do so, since I paid a few pennies to be here. But I don’t demand, since I have used it for free years before I joined.

As an extemely minor note, avatars would have been okay.

   How many AFOLs are online? A few thousand? Do we really need umpteen different forums for this little group of people to communicate with each other? If you feel LUGNET is too big to handle, why not just add a bunch of newsgroups to your skip-filter?
On my webbrowser, there’s a feature known as “bookmarking”. It’s a function that lets me quickly visit places I’ve been before. Additionally, if I wish, I can organize these bookmarked places by subject category, like Lego space. They can be as easily accessed as clicking links on an ordinary webpage. I’ve done this, and I can visit all my Lego space places quite easily.

   I love all the content at Classic-Castle.com - the contests, the archives of building techniques, etc., and I’m sure I will enjoy that kind of stuff from Classic-Space.com. But I can’t see the need for other forums when LUGNET does that job so well - other than some people’s need to be an chief rather than an indian.
You keep talkin like other places are a bad thing. But I’m still waiting for the rationale behind that.

Perhaps lugnet.space suits you just fine for all your spacey needs. That’s a good thing. I want a bit more, and have found a place that works.

-Tom McD.
http://www.spamcake.com