 Off-Topic / Fun / 10379
Re: Why would set 10042 not be available in the United States?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:33:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason J. Railton wrote:
And the 'Barbary Apes' on Gibraltar are macaques, a monkey
species, not apes.

In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:
I suppose we can blame one of your countrymen for perpetuating that
misconception:

"There was an Old Man of the Cape,
Who possessed a large Barbary Ape;
Till the Ape, one dark night, set the house all alight,
Which burned that Old Man of the Cape."

(From The Complete Nonsense Books of Edward Lear, one of the all
time top picks on my kids' bedtime reading list)

I think it's from before that, but it doesn't help.  There's a vague rule that
monkeys have tails and apes don't, but a lot of macaques have really really
short tails that messes that one up.

Generally apes hang and swing, so have longer arms than legs, whereas monkeys
arms and legs are about even.  Unfortunately that one's screwed up by us.

The worst offender is an animal sanctuary/zoo that did a short TV series in the
UK - a sort of soap-opera on the relationships between the animals.  The place
is called 'Monkey World' and the TV show was called 'Monkey Business', but you
never saw a single monkey.  They do have some, but it was always the chimps and
orang-utans on the TV.  You'd think they'd know...?

Jason R