 General / 42380
Re: Why would set 10042 not be available in the United States?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:46:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:
Good try, but its something you would never have guessed.  An American flag.
But don't worry, IIRC the stripes were just stacks of red and white (1 x n?)
plates and the blue area seemed to be more plates with probably six headlight
bricks to attach white 1 x 1 round plates to for the stars.  I would think the
Union Jack [1] would be a bit more of a challenge.

Maggie C.

[1] Is it still called that?  Is it PC to call it that?  These days one is
afraid to say anything for fear of offending someone.

Everyone still calls it that.  I don't think anyone would be upset by what you
call it, apart from the highly pedantic... ;-)

Okay, so technically, it's the 'Union' flag.  A 'Jack' is the national penant
hung at the rear of a ship, so it's only the 'Union Jack' when it's being flown
by the Navy.  It's like calling the parliament clock tower 'Big Ben'; it's the
tower of Big Ben.  Big Ben itself is the bell inside.  But everyone calls it
that, regardless.  Tour guides explain it in depth, and ten seconds later
everyone's saying "ooh yes, we just saw Big Ben".  Do you have, like, X-ray
vision then or something?  And the 'Barbary Apes' on Gibraltar are macaques, a
monkey species, not apes.  And Apple Pie is a German recipe, not American.  And
'attendees' and 'standees' aren't proper words.  And no one gives a ****, so why
bother?...  :-)

I'd like to see them do the flag though, just to see if they can get the
diagonal detail.  Have a look at the diagonal red stripes on one.  They're not
centred on the diagonals, they're above and below the diagonal.  It makes it a
very subtle difference to spot if the flag's being flown upside-down.

Of course, I don't hold out much hope based on this one.  The American flag's
either extremely old, or they skimped on the stars a bit...

Jason Railton