 Off-Topic / Debate / 8327
Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:25:48 GMT

Steve Thomas wrote:

Steve, sorry to interrupt again, but there's a basic
assumption of your argument that I totally disagree
with. I think your subsequent conclusions
are fascinating, but I'm not sure how stable their
foundation is.

I'm not sure about (1) [an archetypical human nature],
and I think there are strong arguments against some
of its implications, but I'd really like to focus on (2)
[the procreative teleology of sex].

Dave,

Your participation is no interruption at all; it's a welcome addition to the
discussion.

I understand your objection and would say that if we don't agree on (1) from
the beginning (which is where all threads seem to be heading thus far,
anyway), it's going to be awfully hard to secure (2) in a reasonable
fashion.  I don't pretend to be able to sustain it, in that case.  So to
date, I've been arguing on two fronts for (1) in this fashion: First, I
don't think that an objective morality can be sustained without (1) - the
folks here seem to have some understanding of such a morality, even if they
lack an explanation for it, so that may be a fruitful discussion.  Second, I
gave a couple brief examples of what I would consider evidence of a
purposeful human nature: I argued that we intuitively recognize a purpose to
the human mind, and I attempted to present what I think are counterintuitive
cases in our reactions to manipulating the biology of human beings.  Some
may find these more or less intuitive than others, but I thought they were
somewhat compelling.

You went on to say:

As far as I know, teleology and biology have had
nothing to do with one another since Darwin. We
can attribute functions to biological structures
and behaviours, but that does not mean that a
characteristic has primarily evolved to fulfil that
function, and neither does it mean that a
characteristic can no longer fulfil any other
(potentially novel) function.

A few things come to mind here, but let me just mention just one: I
responded to another post by noting that in my view the soul informs and
sets parameters to the biology of the individual far more than changes in
one's DNA (neo-Darwinism's medium for change).  (DNA, in my view, may be
more like bricks and mortar - or a recipe for such - than an architects
drawing.)  This would guarantee the preservation of that archetypical human
nature, which wouldn't be subject to mutation and natural selection.  What
do you do with the soul?  What role does it play in your view?

This is all assuming you BELIEVE in "the soul".