 Off-Topic / Debate / 8223
Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:14:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Thomas writes:
I appreciate your effort at understanding my position.  That's a tall order.
I'll try to be as clear as possible, but to do that I'll express it as an
argument rather than in a single sentence.

(1) There is an archetypical human nature - a design, or
'ought-to-be-ness' - that we can discover and know and which sets the moral
parameters of our lives.
(2) In the case of human sexuality, which involves the interaction of our
bodies as persons, there is a natural teleology to sex evident in the fact
that one man and one woman - not more and not less - can act together to
procreate a child.
(3) Homosexuality, in this light, is like driving a car on the bottom of the
ocean; it is a violation of the design implicit in our biology.
(4) Human sexuality is morally significant, so behaviors inconsistent with
that significance (as embodied in the natural teleology) are immoral.
Another way to say this might be that (heterosexual monogamous) marriage -
in the fullest sense - is an intrinsic good for human beings and that
rejection of its defining principles (interpersonal unity) is therefore
wrong.
(5) Therefore, homosexuality is immoral.

The problem with trying to put the position concisely is that, in forums
like this, it raises a litany of objections, which I think can be answered,
but which require a good bit of explanation when they are so foreign to
people (even people in the church).  Some folks - probably yourself
included - will object to the first statement which is in contradiction to
their worldview.  I think this is really the root of the problems I've seen
in responses so far, and it is what I was trying to get at in my discussion
with Larry - and what I'll take up with you in some measure below.  I hope
he'll pick up the discussion and attempt to wrestle with my arguments in a
subsequent post.  So let me say that if (1) doesn't hold, then I agree with
just about every objection that has been made thus far.  If (1) is granted,
and (2) seems pretty straightforward, then that goes a long way toward the
conclusion, although there are other objections that could be raised here.

Jumping in here, I'm not sure I agree with (1) or (2). The human species can
be defined by both its shared characteristics (we're clever monkeys that
walk around and grab things) and the variety in our population (both genetic
and cultural). So while there is a large amount of commonality between all
humans, there is also enough variation to make it all but impossible to
define a unitary archetype. The best we can do is say "these are things that
most humans share, and here are some things that are different for different
people". Discrimination is largely a product of being blind to difference,
or worse, acknowledging it but being intolerant; when the dominant culture
describes the archetypal human as a powerful white male, everyone else is
denied full access to that culture. The "moral parameters of our lives"
should be defined by the widest possible understanding of what human nature
actually is.

On the second point, the teleology of sex. Or, to ask a question almost
noone asks, "What's the point of sex?". Biological history is almost defined
by structures and behaviours that evolved for one purpose and ended up
serving another. Tongues evolved for eating and tasting food, not speech and
song, but nobody (AFAIK) says that talking is an unnatural use of the
tongue. Similarly, while there is sufficient procreation taking place,
there's nothing wrong with healthy non-reproductive sex, especially when it
enriches your experience of the world.

Putting my versions of (1) and (2) together, homosexual sex, as part of the
wide range of natural human behaviours that are not socially harmful, can be
an interesting and fun thing that people do with their bodies.

--DaveL