 Off-Topic / Debate / 8385
Re: Shou shalt not steal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:42:48 GMT

I'm not sure what you are asking for, here. The "ten commandments" of
objectivists, perhaps? In a previous thread (prior to D. Friedman being
brought to my attention) I was arguing that they boil down to one: "Thou
shalt not steal"....

Think I missed that thread-- But I'm gonna come in late and argue something
perhaps a little more basic:

Inter-human morality all boils down to:
"Thou shalt respect others."

I can agree with that one, in fact, that is essentially the 1st Unitarian
Universalist principle:

We afirm and promote:

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person.

I've always held that the rest effectively follow from the first:

2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.

3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our
congregations.

4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

5. The right of conscience and use of the democratic process within our
congregations and in society at large.

6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.

Except #7 which I see as "oh, by the way, extend these ideals to all life and
existence":

7. Respect for the interdependant web of all existence of which we are a part.

The first principle is what has convinced me to the ideals of Libertarianism.
If we are to respect all people, then how can we say "We must have these
givernment programs because we don't trust people to 'do the right thing'." If
we are to respect them, we must respect each individuals choices, no matter how
good or bad they may be, and should only step in when their choice
significantly adversely affects someone else (in other words just being
offended by their speach, appearance, etc. doesn't count). If they realize they
made a wrong step, and ask for help, common decency suggests we should offer
them a hand, but there is nothing wrong with putting conditions on that
offering which expect responsibility.

Frank