 Off-Topic / Debate / 8188
Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:24:53 GMT

Before leaping in to this part of the discussion, Steve, let me see if I
have understood your point correctly:

"Homosexual sex cannot naturally result in progeny, therefore it is
immoral."

Is that a correct restatement of your argument? If not, can you restate it
yourself in one sentence?

Steve Thomas wrote in answer to Larry ...

I don't think there is any confusion about the biological facts that I
addressed.  You've acknowledged that there is an inherent difference (apart
from any tampering we might imagine) between heterosexual intercourse and
homosexual acts.  One question I might ask is, with this obvious difference
in human nature, why does your understanding of morality go unaffected by
this difference?

My question is, why *should* it be affected? Why draw a *moral* conclusion
from *this* biological fact, when many moral conclusions have no biological
facts behind them (eg the morality of taking a bribe) and many biological
facts have no moral conclusions drawn from them (eg the fact that women
become infertile beyond a certain age, and men are fertile for decades
longer).

But this leap bites both ways: How does one with atheist tendencies • overcome
this problem _in general_, as it applies to the entire project of objective
morality?  How does one move from the naturalistic world, as it is, to the
world of oughts so often unrealized?  What duty can atoms have to be in
position X rather than Y?

You seem to be assuming that an atheists moral view must derive from the
naturalistic world, Steve. Why? It seems to me that morality is a human
invention, and not part of the naturalistic world outside humanity at all,
therefore it cannot be derived from it.

Kevin