 Off-Topic / Debate / 8232
Re: More changes at Paypal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:17:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, William Brumbach writes:
I'd prefer they pay for it with advertising and an IPO.

Advertising, sure... good idea, but what do you mean when you say "an IPO"?

That they should find some sucker investors to buy stock in a company that
doesn't have a revenue model and fund operating expenses out of capital,
forever?

Or did you mean something else?

It's one thing to fund current deficits while building mind and market
share, if you have a path to profitability. But it is entirely another to
ask stockholders to fund something that never will make money. As many
dot.com companies learned the hard way.

You are correct, too many of the e-business get treated by consumers as
"make hey while the sun shines" type deals. Despite that, I think there is a
need for what paypal is providing. However, I see no reason why individuals
should not be able to make straight transfers between banks or CC without
involving a middle man/men.

Scott A

FUT .debate since this is about economic reality.

++Lar