 Off-Topic / Debate / 7898
Re: Intellects and proper venue for "cyclic debates"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:02:25 GMT

Perception of intellect is an area which always exasperates me. I find that
people mix these things up:

1. Confidence (a sales person will use this to sell you a washing machine).
2. Inelegance
3. Education

"inelegance" ??

Damn spall checker - Intelligence. Your interpretation of my lazy spell
checking conveys the same point.

Do you mean in the anorak sense? I had always thought that
the thoughts produced by those I regard as truly awesome intellects tend to
be, on average (not always, of course) be *more* elegant than normal.
Thoughts that when you read them you tend to say "Wow, that's a beautiful
idea, brilliantly stated"... what do you think?

To be truly above average, one must have a combination all three. The
problem in perceiving intellect is that it is easy to assume that a person
is smart just because they have one of these attributes in abundance.

A good observation.

As for the cyclic debates, they are mostly a waste of time. Anyone who wants
to debate God etc at anything more than a conversational level  would be
better to find a specific news group.

Very well said indeed.

++Lar

(the world needs more loyal voyeuses ... )