 Administrative / General / 8425
Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  I'd be curious as to the general perception of the readership
  about .debate--I know a lot of people deliberately stay out of
  it, some like me sort of dip through it voyeuristically, and then
  there are a handful who really really enjoy the sparring.

Well, I can tell you my perception has changed since I accidently fell into a
debate recently. You know those people who have an inner smugness from the
knowledge that in any given gathering of people they are generally smarter than
just about everyone else?  (Sure you do!) When you assemble them all together
guess what you have-- participants in .debate!  (And we know the people here
whose smugness manifests itself outwardly. ;-) )  It can be a jarring
experience to find yourself in a group in which you are intellectually only
average, if that.  But then, we are the people who need that kind of

Hmm. I suppose it depends on what you mean by average. I assume you are just
rating myself, and others, against your own above average intellect?

Perception of intellect is an area which always exasperates me. I find that
people mix these things up:

1. Confidence (a sales person will use this to sell you a washing machine).
2. Inelegance
3. Education

To be truly above average, one must have a combination all three. The
problem in perceiving intellect is that it is easy to assume that a person
is smart just because they have one of these attributes in abundance.

As for the cyclic debates, they are mostly a waste of time. Anyone who wants
to debate God etc at anything more than a conversational level  would be
better to find a specific news group.

Scott A

experience
the most.

  When you get this many intellectually gifted souls in one place,
  from all over the world, all different ages, sexes, colours,
  creeds, religions--you're going to have fresh encounters.  Even
  when nobody's mind is changed, at least someone reading probably
  learns *something* they didn't know before, and that's an incre-
  mential victory, isn't it?

Yes!

  In short, I feel like it ain't broke, so I don't really think it
  needs a-fixin'.

Agreed.

What I still can't understand though, is how a group of such smart people can
have so much trouble with a word like verdigris!

Maggie C. (who finds the actual sparring torture, but who remains a loyal
voyeuse)