 Administrative / General / 8435
Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:22:13 GMT

Perhaps we should consider providing .debate as only an overspill bin for
debates from other groups. This would prevent, to some extent, those who
wish, at a whim, to create noisy and unproductive debates the ability to do
so? I doubt it this will have the results you seek, but it may go somewhere
towards it.

I expect that collecting/controlling overspill would have been the main
reason for the institution of .debate?

Scott A

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:
In light of Todd's idea of lugnet.off-topic.debate.pit.of.flamebait or
whatever, I suspect that serious consideration to Frank's final "suggestion" of
just doing away with .debate won't be given.  I hope that's so.  Not only do I
really value some of the discussions that we've had there, but I do think that
letting some people have a little more elbow room for sparring in one place
keeps their need for snipes out of more LEGO-oriented conversation in the other
newsgroups.

I would like to see .debate be able to exist as something worthwhile,
but I sense that with each debate which explodes into a ravaging god vs
science debate, we lose another of the folks who are interested in
serious debate. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be participating in
.debate. If I'm right in this perception, will it be worth having
.debate at all if all it becomes is a place for people to spout of about
their views on religion, with no one even interested in understanding
the opposing view? Will the increased tensions that I think may also be
building in .debate overflow into the rest of the server?

Frank