 Off-Topic / Debate / 7897
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:29:41 GMT

Bill Farkas wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Because it's His show. It's His ball and bat. It's His earth and He made
you. He gave you your life and in the end He will ask for it back.

It sounds like a sucky deal to me.

Fair enough.

Yes, if they are as Holy and loving as He.

I see.  So the right to drop your kids in vats of acid only comes with lots of
love.  (One might say so much love that we can't really experience it, right?)

Dealt with that below. Not equivalent.

But it's not for His amusement. It was created for Satan and his
(Satan's)angels. This is a misconception, any conclusions based on it are
not sound.

But wasn't Satan created for his amusement too?

God didn't create Satan. He created Lucifer, who was His Archangel. Lucifer
coveted God's position and wanted to be like God and receive man's worship.
A third of God's angels went with Lucifer. They were cast out. Lucifer chose
to rebel just as we choose to rebel. God did not make it happen. He knew it
would, but He did not cause it.

Knowing that it would happen, but creating Lucifer anyways, he in effect DID cause it.  Just as he has caused all sin in history, as he created everyone knowing exactly what would happen.

Not equivalent. It would be like my children on sinking ship - if I call out
to them and say, "The ship is sinking, come into my life raft." But they
reject my offer and say, "We don't need you, we'll be OK without you," and
then perish.

I think it's more like putting your kids on a cruise ship and putting a bomb >in that will cause it to go down.  So it's a foregone conclusion that the >boat is going to sink.  And the combination to the lock that lets the life->rafts free is only scrawled on one bathroom wall with vague and contradictory
instructions on how to use the boat machinery that makes basically no sense.

Only problem is - He didn't cause the ship to sink, we did.

Sure he did - he created us, knowing we would cause the ship to sink, so in effect, HE caused it to sink.

He offered to
rescue us in spite of ourselves. And most people who realize they need a
life-raft will do what it takes. I disagree with the vague and contradictory
part - a little effort will solve both - but that's the point (re: Jesus'
statement as to why He spoke in parables).

And someone with no contact with Christians, divining their own god in the process, goes to hell.  I don't buy it, Christianity is petty and cruel.  Ignorance should not damn you.

So a few people will see it and think that they've figured it out and maybe
spread the word.  But since the instructions are nonsensical (whether or not
they are correct) lots of people ignore them.  Further, not everyone on the
boat ever gets word, so they didn't even have the chance to learn of salvation.

If people ignore them it's their own fault. Not hearing is something
different. Addressed it above about creation revealing God, etc.

Ah, but if someone divine's a god (small g) that is not YOUR Christian God, simply from "not hearing" about Your God, they go to hell.  How petty (and vengeful, even).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/