 Off-Topic / Debate / 7799
    Re: The Problem of Evil —John Neal
    (...) Tough proof I agree. (...) I agree. It is better to presuppose that we are acting freely. (...) Stop right there. God isn't "testing" us. God created us and gave us life to do with it what we will. (...) Well, other than the fact that God is (...) (24 years ago, 2-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The Problem of Evil —Tom Stangl
   (...) THE ENTIRE BIBLE is a collection of stories. It conflicts itself all over the place. I suppose you pull the standard dodges, and only pick what parts you agree with, and say they are true while the rest MUST be wrong? -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The Problem of Evil —John Neal
    (...) I think the understanding of God changed and matured through time in the OT. The early Israelites were polytheistic; they had to learn that there was only one god YHWH. YHWH was perceived as a war God. This is definitely inconsistent (in my (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The Problem of Evil —Richard Marchetti
     (...) Gee, I think this was Tom's point -- at least in a a way. See? Your perspective is that the bible is a kind of source of authority, yet you are able to pick and choose elements from it because it is an "imperfect" source. With all kinds of (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: The Problem of Evil —Tom Stangl
     (...) Yes, thank you - a good debater I am not. But that was my point. Basing your Faith on some conflicting book written 2K years ago BY MEN is just silly, IN MY OPINION. And NOTHING anyone says will convince me otherwise. Isaac Asimov could have (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: The Problem of Evil —Markus Wolf
   Let me take it from another perspective. YHWH, or God, really IS a God of war, but he's more than that. I see Jesus as the completer of the picture of God. That is, revelation is progressive. If you look at God's relationship with Noah, then (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)