 Off-Topic / Debate / 7790
Re: Libertopia - unproven theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:50:21 GMT

Welcome back Ed!

Thanks!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
You can debate the benefits and drawbacks of Libertopia all you want.
The fact is that it is still only a pipedream.  The majority of
Americans would never elect  <Ed's characterization of the LP>

[snip]

Two points though. Does "still"=="always and forever"?

Not in my dictionary.  Still == remains to be.

[snip]

Is it a valid debating and instructional technique to discuss a (stipulated
never to be adopted) ideal system, even it is not quite consistent, as a way
to understand and improve practical systems? I say yes. We have analogues in
the physical sciences, in statistical analysis, in economic analysis and
yes, even elsewhere in political science.

I agree, but this debate, along with abortion and Lego vs. Legos, have been
beat to death.  I haven't seen any coverts on either side of any of those
discussions.  Reminds me of the old Murphy Brown episode where Murphy tried to
get the opposing sides of a strike to talk: "Oh, just drop your pants, I'll get
a ruler and we'll settle this thing once and for all".

Give me something more interesting and I'll participate.