 Off-Topic / Debate / 7789
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:33:17 GMT

I know Jon can speak for himself, but just to clarify things -- I think Jon
is alluding to the idea of the "prime mover" or "first cause."  No one knows
what the first cause of the universe was or is.  Science, on this count as
well as others, is just as much a matter of faith as any other system of
beliefs or ethics.

  I disagree with that, but not too sharply.  Science is not a matter of
faith at all, since it is at its essence a system seeking to verify itself
through observation rather than saying "it is that way because it is that
way, end of story."  Science should not and does not have to be accepted on
faith--quite the opposite in fact.

[Jon] he is absolutely correct in much of what he has said about science.

  Though it must be stated that what he asserts as weaknesses of science
(its inability to explain certain things, reliance on empirical data, and
apparent contradictions) are in fact strengths or are by definition separate
from science.

     Dave!