 Off-Topic / Debate / 7847
Re: Libertopia - unproven theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:32:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
You can debate the benefits and drawbacks of Libertopia all you want.  The fact
is that it is still only a pipedream.  The majority of Americans would never
elect a party that would base governmental, social service or public education
funding on the whim of the people.

Yeah, what we have now, with bought and paid for politicians delivering the
goods to the various special interest groups that own them is much better,
isn't it?

I was listening to your countryman, Nader, make just the same point on
Friday evening. He made a credible argument for idea of change - what is yours?

The LP would have government run by them and private enterprise (cutting out
the middle man perhaps?). I have talked about this before:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7557
=+=
One of the big criticisms of the LP argument is that they harp on too much
about the evils of "Big Government", without tempering that sentiment with a
reflection of the evils of big business. Witness the Ford/Firestone problem.
Witness the global tobacco industry. Witness Microsoft’s ongoing problems.
My understanding of the LP stand is that these big companies would have even
more “freedoms”.

Further, if we accept that some politicians/public servants/captains of
industry have there figures in the pie, we also must consider the LP itself:

This is from http://www.realchange.org/browne.htm
Controversial Campaign Official
Michael Emmerling Cloud (who until recently called himself Michael
Emmerling) is Harry Browne's chief fundraiser and consultant. Darren
Capriotti, a member of the LPUS mailing list, posted charges on February 28
that Cloud had raise $125,000 for 2 PACs, Project 51 - 92 and Project 51 -
96, that worked to get Libertarians on the ballot in all 50 states. However,
Capriotti charged, only $32,000 of that money was ever distributed and the
rest is unaccounted for. His implication is that Cloud ran up expenses and
directed some of the money to friends.
We don't have any way of checking the strength of these charges, but other
Libertarian sources have confirmed that charges have dogged Emmercling Cloud
for years. He was a major official with the Andre Marrou Libertarian
campaign in 1992, and was ch-chairman with Marrou of Project 51.

A libertarian (Hugh Akston'), writes about this an other “issues”  (My PC
has problems with the currency symbols in this page):
http://libertarianparty.freeservers.com/

=+=

Scott A