 Off-Topic / Debate / 7848
Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:13:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I would like to see .debate be able to exist as something worthwhile,
but I sense that with each debate which explodes into a ravaging god vs
science debate, we lose another of the folks who are interested in
serious debate. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be participating in
.debate. If I'm right in this perception, will it be worth having
.debate at all if all it becomes is a place for people to spout of about
their views on religion, with no one even interested in understanding
the opposing view? Will the increased tensions that I think may also be
building in .debate overflow into the rest of the server?

   No!  I disagree!  Etc etc.  :)  Darned UUs!

   Any forum is only as good as its practitioners.  Since LUGNET
   went 'live' I've operated with the assumption that .debate matters
   stay in .debate, and expect others to do the same--I've only once
   seen what might possibly be 'overflow of tensions' that, without
   .debate, would not have been there.  It's strange to say, but I
   can't imagine LUGNET without .o-t.debate being quite as much
   "fun" (gadzooks, that word)--but I'm fully willing to admit that
   my holistic perception may be in the minority.  Naturally, I'd
   love it if everyone behaved humanistically, and maybe I'm naive
   to assume that everyone will.  I'd like to think I haven't been
   really let down in my years here, even at the times when we've
   felt around the rough edges of our LEGOversal sociability.

   I'd be curious as to the general perception of the readership
   about .debate--I know a lot of people deliberately stay out of
   it, some like me sort of dip through it voyeuristically, and then
   there are a handful who really really enjoy the sparring.

   My inclination is to take the Dutch attitude--control the flow,
   because the water's going to come whether you build the dikes
   or not (Interestingly this is the attitude often cited for legal
   marijuana and other, eh, services--but that's another .debate).
   When you get this many intellectually gifted souls in one place,
   from all over the world, all different ages, sexes, colours,
   creeds, religions--you're going to have fresh encounters.  Even
   when nobody's mind is changed, at least someone reading probably
   learns *something* they didn't know before, and that's an incre-
   mential victory, isn't it?

   In short, I feel like it ain't broke, so I don't really think it
   needs a-fixin'.

   But that's just my NGL 0.05.

   hartelijke groeten,

   Lindsay