 Off-Topic / Debate / 7561
7560  |  7562
Subject:
One for the road sir? (Re: US supreme court strikes down...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:14:39 GMT

A small bit of good news. However when one reads the article one discovers
that the court considers drunk driving checkpoints constitutional,

Here in the UK random alchhol test are not strictly legal. However, they do
sort of occur. However, for 10-20 yaers now drink driving has been
effectivly stigmatised to the point where even drinking within the legal
limit (80 mg/l) is frowned upon socially. Having a drink driving conviction
in the UK, is a sure way to become a social pariah. Because of this climate,
I have never heard of anyone complain of being stopped and tested (we do
have the right to a refuse test if stopped).

This situation is at complete odds what was happening ~20 years ago. Back
then, macho types would brag of how much they could drink and still drive
home. People would joke about how they were so inebriated they could not
walk home - so thay had to drive.

In summary, I don't think random testing 20 years ago would ever have
reduced DD as much as stigmatisation has. However, here in the UK, we are
left with a "hard core" who will continue to DD until caught - and random
tests may be the way to get them.

Let's just hope none of us here fall victim to a drunk driver over Xmas/New
Year.

Scott A

and sees
no problem in detaining someone outside their home for hours while a warrant
is obtained.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20001128/pl/scotus_roadblocks.html

Scalia's dissenting opinion is particularly scary to liberarians of all
stripes as the media labels him as such, clearly he's not.