 Off-Topic / Debate / 7513
Re: LP POINT 3.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:43:19 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:G4qF2F.EyC@lugnet.com...

Reminder: Everyone gets to spend his free time as he chooses. I choose to
devote a certain limited amount of my free time to this, *and no more*.
Scott does not have a blank check on my time for me to educate him on how • to
properly debate or for me to answer every silly snipe he raises. Why • should
I? What is in it for me?

Lar-
I'm pretty much in agreement with what you said in your post.  And sometimes
I dunno why I keep skimming o-t.debate. :o)

So what is in it for you?  We already know Scott irritates you to no end, by
the way we've seen your volleys go in the past.  Now we see you spending
extra time on it, but setting up guidelines on how you will spend your time.
Its your time, no biggie.   I suppose as long as these arguments don't
consume you, you're safe.  And I doubt that they would...you've got much
more of a level head than that.  I guess at this point in the game, I don't
see how Scott becoming educated on debating, becoming a critical thinker, or
shutting up (well maybe the latter) is such a reward for you.

On the one point that I am responding to, I will make sure that every side
issue Scott raises is identified as such and deferred. I will do a depth
first drill down on that point and that point only. Scott has to learn how
to stay on topic.

Alrighty, fair enough.

Those are the conditions under which I undertake to even debate uncritical
thinkers.

I know it takes up more of your free time, but if you don't mind, what are
they?  I'm curious.

My payment, such as it is, for doing this, is that either we will teach
Scott how to be a critical thinker, we will teach Scott not to engage in • the
(mildly) antisocial behaviour of post-sniping, or Scott will leave
Lugnet.off-topic.debate, or at least stop causing huge messes in it.

Well, I think that might be payment for all - the antisocial behavior part.
For gits and shiggles I I keyed in 'Scott Arthur' to the search form, and to
my utter un-surprise, I was greeted by about 95% of the results posted to
o-t.debate.  I see little 'constructive' talk coming from him on Lugnet.  In
fact, I've been hacked at him for months, as I've seen him play devil's
advocate at just about everything, and pick big fights in here.  No doubt he
thinks he's up to something with this one.

Oh well, still think its unnecessary.

Nothing short of this, or short of *everyone* completely ignoring Scott
everywhere, was going to resolve this antisocial behaviour of his. Look at
his track record in admin.general (where it is much more important in the
scheme of things that one not be disruptive, after all being disruptive • here
is not a big deal, really, one can safely ignore this whole group and not
miss much LEGO talk)... Snipe after snipe to the point where he • exasperated
Todd. Todd may be stubborn but he does NOT anger easily, it takes a lot to
ruffle his feathers.

I agree with you 100%.

And this idea of mine might not work either. But I am not alone in • disliking
his disruptive behaviour and his inability to think critically.

Nope, you're not.  But here's a twist on your idea:  Scott is obviously
bombarding you with 'attacks' on the LP views.  He wants your answers and I
think he's going to collect them and use them as his cannonballs in some
spray of fire afterword.  His attacks are pretty low too.  Now, what about
not reducing yourself to this level by falling into the attacks of his
debates?  I dunno if you see it this way or not, and I only kinda see it
this way, but look at who you are arguing with.  SO WHAT if he thinks you
are squirming (and I don't think you pay much attention to that)....look at
who this is and evaluate whether or not its worth spending your free time
on, really.

What I think (and I could be wrong) is that if you follow Scott down his
path of debating too much, people will begin to think of you not much better
(but better still) than he is (in this area).  I've already thought that a
little bit, just from seeing you take debating issues quite far.  I think
you have enough sense about you to pull out if this is really the case, but
I'm just putting this up for suggestion.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne