 Off-Topic / Debate / 7475
  Cdn Election Day

Well I've been out to vote, and I'll be scrutinizing tonight, including monitoring the count. And unlike our neighbours to the south, we'll know the results by tonight or tomorrow... 8-) SRC (Who's doing everything he can to help Betty Unger defeat (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cdn Election Day

(...) Where can I read about results? CNN strikes me as unlikely to have in depth coverage. And why wasn't this talked about more BEFORE the election??? PS I went to the Canadian Alliance site, and they seem a little less statist than the Liberals, (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cdn Election Day

(...) Try here; (URL) at the moment, as I checked, that very cover page has plenty of election coverage. There's even a National Results link on the right side (under "snapshot") that takes you to a chart with various percentages and the like. Don't (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Hey, how does the Candian electoral system work? Is it by proportional representation (with set tickets) or by electorate? Based on provinces, or nationally? And is the Prime Minister and Cabinet "chosen" from within the ranks of the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) I'm sure you don't want the books of details that you probably realize could result from such a question, so I'll TRY to give you a brief over-view. (don't know how well I'll succeed) Our primary federal government body is Parliament. Like (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Thanks for your great comparative civics tutorial Steve. I'm actually from Australia, and our system is fairly similar. I wasn't sure if you guys had some form of proportional representation (PR) like NZ and Germany for example, hence the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) <snip> (...) You missed the point - If a member doesn't vote according to the wishes OF HIS CONSTITUENTS, THEY can force a by-election. It's the opposite of party discipline - making the members accountable to those that elected them on an (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Thanks for the clarification Steve, but how could it work? How would you determine the "wishes" of the constituents (who are presumably a diverse bunch of people who would disagree on what they wanted their MP to say and do on their behalf). (...) (24 years ago, 3-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

<snip> (...) <snip> (...) Unfortunately we have a situation of "power corrupting" here. There are numerous Liberal MPs who have done outrageous things, but they just ignore the public outcry. If a "recall policy" were in place, it probably wouldn't (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Just simply not true, look at BC for a example. The fact is, that for a reasonable requirement (1/3rd of registered voters, not 1/3rd of votes in last election), you will _allways_ have a very hard time getting recall. Simply because getting (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) Yes - Look at B.C. - They almost had recall in place, and the NDP nixed it because they knew they'd lose their slim majority due to the outrageous antics of some of their members. They realize that it would work, and don't want to lose their (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) As far as my understanding was, the law is in place in BC to allow a recall. However, you require 1/3rd of the votors in the riding to sign a petition within a 60 day period. (sorry, from (URL) the petition must be submitted to the chief (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) I understood that the recall bill was defeated by the NDP before it could become law. In any case, it's the Alliance recall policy that I was refering to - the farther away from the people the level of govt. is, the more something like this is (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)