 Off-Topic / Debate / 6845
Re: Modifications okay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:43:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>

<snip>

Someone mentioned cutting the ball off
Throwbot/Slizer ball-and-socket joints... that's just wrong, IMHO.

That was me. Didja forget? ;^)

No, I knew it was you, I just didn't want to make it a personal thing, so I
didn't see the need to mention you by name.

That takes
all the fun out of working inside limitations, and renders the point of
making
it in LEGO moot to me.

No, what it does in this particular instance is, it makes a single use SPUD,
the thrower arm, useful in a multitude of ways because it can now interface
with anything that accepts a technic axle.

No, what it does is make a new, non-LEGO created piece.  Yes, this part seems
as though it's going to be available in the 2001 sets, but if you're
fabricating parts on your own (whether from other LEGO parts, metal, or adobe)
you're not really working in the bounds of the LEGO medium anymore.

That, of course, is only my opinion.  If you feel differently, that's cool.  I
just don't feel the same, and I will always be more impressed by a well-done
model that works within the boundaries that I arbitrarily place on building
with LEGO than an excellent model that has modified parts.

But, and I can't stress this enough, that's just me.

My examples cannot be "worked inside" because they are SPUDs in the truest
sense of the word.

I don't think anything is really a SPUD... it's just a matter of finding other
things to do with it.  Even if it has no other interfaces, it's not *always* a
Throwbot arm (except in name- like even when you use minifig legs as fingers on
a mech, they're still "minifig legs").

At that point, why not just build a model, or machine
down metal peices?

OK, carrying the example a bit too far, there. There are a lot of steps
between "modifying SPUDs in rare and specific circumstances" and "machine
down metal pieces."

Not in my mind.

Yes, there's a world of difference in expense, but to me a part made of other
LEGO parts (cutting, gluing, melting, whatever) may as well be made in a metal
shop... it's not working in the bounds of what comes out of LEGO's factories.
It's no longer a LEGO piece.

But, once again, that's just my personal opinion.  If yours is different, you
have as much right to it as I do to mine.

eric