 Off-Topic / Debate / 6844
Re: Modifications okay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:42:22 GMT

From: "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>

<snip>

Someone mentioned cutting the ball off
Throwbot/Slizer ball-and-socket joints... that's just wrong, IMHO.

That was me. Didja forget? ;^)

That takes
all the fun out of working inside limitations, and renders the point of making
it in LEGO moot to me.

No, what it does in this particular instance is, it makes a single use SPUD,
the thrower arm, useful in a multitude of ways because it can now interface
with anything that accepts a technic axle.

My examples cannot be "worked inside" because they are SPUDs in the truest
sense of the word. A Throwbot arm is still a Throwbot arm, no matter where
you put it, because it can't interface in any other way. If they'd put a
couple Technic holes in it, then I would probably not have cut mine, I'd
have built on top of them.

At that point, why not just build a model, or machine
down metal peices?

OK, carrying the example a bit too far, there. There are a lot of steps
between "modifying SPUDs in rare and specific circumstances" and "machine
down metal pieces."

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego Creations