 Off-Topic / Debate / 6842
Re: Modifications okay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:59:47 GMT

Well, Dave, now you've gone and opened up a big bag o' worms.  :D

I think you'll find that everyone's level of "purity" is a different one.

Personally, I think that purposely changing a LEGO piece in any way is just not
right.  I guess that puts me on the "rabidly puritanical" end of the spectrum.
I also tend to think that ropes, rubber bands, etc should all be original LEGO
pieces, and if you have to "strengthen" a hinge/turntable/joint in any way
(even with bits of LEGO paper) that is wrong, too.

Of course, when I say wrong, I don't mean that people shouldn't do it if that's
their bag.  I don't refuse to look at them, or think that people should stop,
or anything... but I am aware that somehow in my head these things are "second
class" models.

On the other hand, I really enjoy minifigs made to represent specific
characters- like Craigo's stuff (especially since I'm a comic book fan).  So
much that I tried my hand at it as well (I posted a link to the webpage a week
or so ago).

But modifying whole bricks to acheive something they couldn't do before...
that's just plain cheating.  Someone mentioned cutting the ball off
Throwbot/Slizer ball-and-socket joints... that's just wrong, IMHO.  That takes
all the fun out of working inside limitations, and renders the point of making
it in LEGO moot to me.  At that point, why not just build a model, or machine
down metal peices?

eric