 Off-Topic / Debate / 6843
Re: Modifications okay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:
Well, Dave, now you've gone and opened up a big bag o' worms.  :D

I think you'll find that everyone's level of "purity" is a different one.

Personally, I think that purposely changing a LEGO piece in any way is just not
right.  I guess that puts me on the "rabidly puritanical" end of the spectrum.
I also tend to think that ropes, rubber bands, etc should all be original LEGO
pieces, and if you have to "strengthen" a hinge/turntable/joint in any way
(even with bits of LEGO paper) that is wrong, too.

I'm with you on this. Except for string, and for DCC if and when it becomes
available, oh, and couplers. I do cut tubing, but then the instructions
sometimes tell you to.

Someone mentioned cutting the ball off
Throwbot/Slizer ball-and-socket joints... that's just wrong, IMHO.  That takes
all the fun out of working inside limitations, and renders the point of making
it in LEGO moot to me.  At that point, why not just build a model, or machine
down metal peices?

Yep. Except what about defacing a common piece to make a rare one that you
don't currently have? the cutting the ball off example actually does that, I
think. Not that I'd ever do it, mind you.

++Lar