 Off-Topic / Debate / 6216
Re: MF at etoys.com <snipped>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek writes:
*** much editing
Restrictions:
This offer is valid for first-time customers only.
First-time customer coupons are valid on your first-ever purchase at eToys
only.

This is pretty clear.  Either you are a first time customer or your not.
Whether eToys should have some different checking mechanism that just checking
the email address is up to debate.  Just because you can do something doesn't
mean it is "right" to do it.

One easy ethical way around the restriction, for married couples anyway, is to
make a second purchase on behalf of your spouse.  Chances are you share the
same credit card so you don't even have to snoop for their card.  Of course you
have to use your spouse's name on the order.  Your spouse is a legitimate new
customer.  To be completely on the up and up you can have the following
conversation;

"Honey, will you buy me some Lego's please?"
"Sure, you already have thousands, what's a few more"
"Great, I already filled out the order form for you, would you like me to send
it for you also?"
"Go right ahead, thanks for saving me the effort"

Of course my wife and I share a common email address so in my case eToys
verification method may actually prevent a valid new user from using the
coupon.

Regards,
Matt