 Off-Topic / Debate / 5531
  Yummy!

xfut .o-t.debate [Mmmm, Debate Topics] I just noticed the [new?] links on the front of .off-topic.debate... Cool! Thanks to whoever put them on! Oh, and I absolutely agree with this article, and also what they say about the SATs (take the link to (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

Sorry for the length of this folks, I so rarely get to use my Masters of Education ;-) (...) I think that whether one agrees or disagrees depends largely on what they think they are agreeing to. That page says a fair many things that are correct as (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) As a side comment just on this part of your reply, Chris (I can't speak to the rest): I was interested by the fact that you referred to the standardised mutiple choice tests as "traditional tests". When I was in high school in the UK in the (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) Whew. That was a long post. Thoroughly enjoyable reading, it's always a joy to see a well written refutation that skewers something point by point. You have more patience than I do, I never could have stuck with that tripe all the way to the (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) better (...) to (...) Good call. These large multiple choice exams - the ones that the article and I are debating - are not meant as measures for individual classes. By the time I was in high school a decade after you, machine-graded tests had (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

I'm snipping here and there... (...) I wish the market would verify that. (...) problems (...) This last attribute is under-understood and under-emphasized in my opinion. I think the single most important thing that parents can do for their (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) Ditto. Of course, the trouble with having exams etc come easy (relatively), is that at some point one reaches a subject or chunk of knowledge which requires you to WORK to understand it... andfor me at least, I'd never learned to. Took me (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) and (...) Maybe it's just a gut feeling we had, but we only went from 3.5 years to just before Kindergarten started in both cases. I think the value of Montessori lessens as the child ages, we saw it more as a booster to give our kids a (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)

(...) Meee tooooo! And thank goodness, I say. For if I had been able to figure out how to use those in reaction rate and heat transfer problems I would have gotten my Chemical Engineering degree instead of flagging P-Chem and taking up computers (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  kids schooling (was :Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!))

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes: [regarding Montessori] (...) I did Montessori as a kid. I discovered that public school existed a few weeks after my first grade year started and begged my folks[1] to let me go there instead. They (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: kids schooling (was :Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!))

(...) Parse error alert: "they" has an ambiguous antecedent. Parents or Montessori? (arguably must be Montessori, since the method can't speak to parent level of abuse, so you can't say it's not part of the method) (...) If I could afford it, I (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)