 Off-Topic / Debate / 5535
Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 18:49:44 GMT

Sorry for the length of this folks, I so rarely get to use my Masters of
Education  ;-)

Whew. That was a long post. Thoroughly enjoyable reading, it's always a joy to
see a well written refutation that skewers something point by point. You have
more patience than I do, I never could have stuck with that tripe all the way
to the end the way you did.

(I'd say you got your money's worth from your MS Ed degree. :-) )

Rather than respond directly, I just want to throw a few morsels out, without
any claim of support or refutation.

I do tend to think that standardised tests mostly test how good you are at
taking tests. But that's what they're there for. I got an amazingly high SAT
score and all it proves is that I am good at taking tests, can do math problems
quickly, and have a large vocabulary. To properly evaluate a prospective
freshman you need to look at tests, grades, AND extracurricular activities.

Multiple choice tests are not bad in and of themselves. My freshman physics
course used them to great effect. 14 questions, 10 answers each (instead of
the normal 5, there was a hack applied to the grading software). All of the
"wrong" answers were deviously set up to be one of the answers you'd get if you
did something wrong on the way. (flipped units, wrong formula, etc.) +1 for
every right, -1 for every wrong, so guessing was a bad strategy. 4 right was an
A (the problems were 10 minutes a piece for a good student, you had to pick
which ones to do). I heard of someone getting a 7 once, it was the talk of
class for weeks.

Montessori is aces in my book, both my children benefitted greatly from it and
I really feel we got our money's worth.

++Lar