 Off-Topic / Debate / 5540
Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 00:15:13 GMT

Lar said

Montessori is aces in my book, both my children benefitted greatly from it • and
I really feel we got our money's worth.

Good.  I haven't found anyone who's been disappointed by the method.  My son's
current school goes through 3rd grade, but there's another local school,
Princeton Montessori, that goes through sixth or eighth which we may
investigate in a couple years.

Maybe it's just a gut feeling we had, but we only went from 3.5 years to just
before Kindergarten started in both cases. I think the value of Montessori
lessens as the child ages, we saw it more as a booster to give our kids a
running start in public school. For Taya, it almost failed because her
Kindergarten and first grade teachers (in Florida) didn't have the time or
interest to capitalize, but fortunately we moved from FL to MI (and from 35 to
16 kids in the class) midway through Taya's first grade year......

Nik's a typical Second, motivated by different things than sheer achievement,
so it's not apples to apples, but he was boosted less but benefitted more.

++Lar