 Off-Topic / Debate / 5542
5541  |  5543
Subject:
kids schooling (was :Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 00:54:56 GMT

[regarding Montessori]

Maybe it's just a gut feeling we had, but we only went from 3.5 years to just
before Kindergarten started in both cases. I think the value of Montessori
lessens as the child ages, we saw it more as a booster to give our kids a
running start in public school.

I did Montessori as a kid.  I discovered that public school existed a few weeks
after my first grade year started and begged my folks[1] to let me go there
instead.  They capitulated, probably to save precious money[2].  Big mistake!

When I left, I was about done learning division and had exceeded all their
reading material.  The teachers thought it was funny (or something) and worked
to continue challenging me.  When I entered the first grade, they tested me and
I was four years or more ahead in everything except spelling.[3]  They figured
I was fine, so they ignored me and I developed behavioral disorders and forgot
how to learn in school.[4]

My personal experience suggests that a running start at public school is more
of a hinderence unless you and the school are prepared to capitalize on it.  My
parents and school system were not.  Oops.

For Taya, it almost failed because her
Kindergarten and first grade teachers (in Florida) didn't have the time or
interest to capitalize,

Well, there you go.

but fortunately we moved from FL to MI (and from 35 to
16 kids in the class) midway through Taya's first grade year......

Good for you.  I'm surprised you don't use a private school for a better still
situation.[5]

Nik's a typical Second, motivated by different things than sheer achievement,
so it's not apples to apples, but he was boosted less but benefitted more.

How did he benefit more?  The primary benefit that I see is learning how to
choose your own subjects to learn about.  I think that's soooo critical.  I
really hate the idea of sending my kids to public school.  Home-schooling is
attractive, but sounds like a _lot_ of work.

1 - Largely because they were emotionally and physically abusive and I hated
them.  This is not a normal part of the Montessori method.

2 - They were dirt poor when I was little.

3 - Which is still weak given my general level of education, but not compared
to the public at large.  This deficiency mostly corrected itself around the
fourth grade when my parents started me into role-playing games.  (I recommend
games in general as an educational tool, but good ones, not the ones you find
at TRU.)

4 - Like Larry and Kevin experienced, but I didn't get so far as partial
differential equations...more like my first year of college, where I was doing
more homework every night than I did in any month of high school and was barely
passing.

5 - I remember some of your reasonings from a thread about a year ago, but I'm
dubious that any public school in America is so good as to not merit serious
consideration of private schools.

Chris