 Off-Topic / Debate / 5538
Re: Standardized tests (was: Yummy!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 23:34:22 GMT

Larry P wrote:
score and all it proves is that I am good at taking tests, can do math
problems >quickly, and have a large vocabulary.

Ditto. Of course, the trouble with having exams etc come easy
(relatively), is that at some point one reaches a subject or chunk of
knowledge which requires you to WORK to understand it... andfor me at
least, I'd never learned to. Took me quite a few years to work out how
to learn *difficult* stuff (and that was something I had to learn how to
do for myself, nothing at school or uni taught me how to). Partial
differential equations were my downfall...

Chris wrote in reply...
This last attribute is under-understood and under-emphasized in my opinion.  I
think the single most important thing that parents can do for their childrens'
academic future is be sure that they are exposed early and often to a huge
vocabulary.  Aside from giving them lots of known words, it gets them in the
habit of being exposed to things they don't know and asking or looking up the
answers.  That is tremendously important.  I see people all the time let words,
concepts, explanations, etc. slide in and out of their brain without
understanding them and without questioning.  Vocabulary exposure, I believe,
also creates a broader context in which people can incorporate new ideas.  You
can think about more concepts if you have more words with which to describe
your thoughts.

Strongly agree with this. We never used "baby talk" to Liz at home, with
the result that she talked like a real person right from the start (well
no, I exaggerate a bit...there were some quite creative garbled words to
start with <g>) to the point that people would look at her funny in the
mall! Interestingly, though she has a very large vocabulary and uses it
freely, she hates dictionaries and really resists looking up words. I,
on the other hand, always get sucked into *reading* the dictionary if I
look something up! Could be that I've been too ready to give her word
meanings myself rather than make her look them up, as I was made to.

As a side point, if you manage to keep commnication lines open with a
teenager, they will talk your ear off. Interesting stuff to listen to.
They also ask some hard questions!

And extracurriculars are not just school-affliated activities.  My only
school-related extracurricular was chess club, but I worked, read widely,
computed, etc., all of which were valuable to my college experience.

Not even just organised or group activities. Many colleges/scholarships
etc ask mostly for clubs and societies and other organised stuff,
perhaps forgetting that independent interests can be even more
important.

Kevin

--
Personal Lego Web page: