 Off-Topic / Debate / 4809
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:08:56 GMT

Good point

Sproaticus wrote:

This seriously bothers me.  There are too many people here arguing for a
system of complete rational thought, for me to discount it.  Personally, I'm
all for a balance between rational and irrational, between objectivity and
subjectivity.  But for purposes of this debate, I *really* want to see a good
case in favor of total rationalism, and / or total objectivity.  Otherwise,
it's just another volley of "pot, kettle, black" -- right back atcha.

But is it a dichotomy or a trichotomy. (rational/irrational vs.
rational/not rational/irrational)... I'd say the latter.

As I was alluding to in a different portion of the thread, I can have
and enjoy emotions without letting them rule me. Emotions are non
rational, not irrational. Letting emotions control me is irrational.
Using intuition is non rational. Using intuition as my only factor
without rationally weighing the alternatives is irrational.

As to where to start, again, I chicken out from a full derivation and
point to Rand, who built a pretty good system starting from Aristotle's
A is A. It may have holes. I'm open to rational arguments. It satisfied
me, and I didn't need any little voices for it. It satisfied me because
it told me to go ahead and believe the evidence of my senses, and
because it fit the experimental evidence. I grant that it does not
independently verify the validity of logic or that cause and effect
actually work. (G<o-umlaut>del's theorem and all that)

BTW Subjectivity is not necessarily IRrational.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!