 Off-Topic / Debate / 4807
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
The last refuge of religion is to turn rabid and claim that nobody can be
objective, therefore you need God's revelation.

I thought the anti-religion stance states that the last refuge of religion is
to convert people by the sword.  But again, quite sarcastically, I digress...

Objectivity isn't an unattainable ideal. It includes using the sum total of
your experiences to come to a conclusion!

But that's still subjective, isn't it?  The interpretation of this data is
still influenced by the viewer.  To be completely objective, one must live
outside oneself completely.  People who try to do that are, rightfully, tucked
into a straightjacket and tossed into a padded cell.

That's not all.  To even interpret the sum of your experiences, you must apply
what rules you govern yourself by to them.  Now, where did you get those
rules?  What events came together to make them?  From an objective standpoint,
there were no rules except the physical laws to begin with.  We have yet to
see how -- or even if -- these laws govern personality let alone society.  It
can be argued, then, that the world of humanity is run by nothing but a huge
set of special cases.  In other words, there has to be bias in the equation
somewhere.

This seriously bothers me.  There are too many people here arguing for a
system of complete rational thought, for me to discount it.  Personally, I'm
all for a balance between rational and irrational, between objectivity and
subjectivity.  But for purposes of this debate, I *really* want to see a good
case in favor of total rationalism, and / or total objectivity.  Otherwise,
it's just another volley of "pot, kettle, black" -- right back atcha.

Cheers,
- jsproat