 Off-Topic / Debate / 4770
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:47:27 GMT

James Brown wrote:

You don't know there isn't a god.  You *believe* there isn't a god.

And I don't know that monkeys aren't about to fly out of my butt either.
But all the objective rational evidence, that is, stuff that can be used
to make meaningful predictions, stuff that can be measured and tested,
points against it.

There was a time in human history when all the objective rational evidence
pointed against the earth being round.

Cite, please. The rational evidence pointed FOR it being round, it was
the christian church that was suppressing it to enforce a flat earth,
terracentric viewpoint, as I recall. As far back as we can go in
history, we have evidence that people had decided the earth was round
and were engaged in trying to determine diameter. Fairly successfully
too, as I recall.

Your point?  Nothing in the current
body of knowledge (from a scientific point of view) can either prove or
disprove the existance of God or god or gods.  He was claiming knowledge
without factual evidence - the very same thing he was decrying.

If all phenomena can be satisfactorily explained without a particlar
mechanism, that mechanism isn't needed. It is on the asserter to prove
the existence of the mechanism, not those who are happily predicting
events away to disprove it. The onus is on you, if you can't prove the
existence, you're wrong, not on me if I can't disprove it. Your job is
to find some objective phenomena that can't be explained without
positing an omnipotent being. Some verifiable objective phenomena. Else
you are just indulging in (pleasurable to you, and that's fine) mental
masturbation.

And if you say that your god doesn't affect the material world in ways
that can be measured or proven he might as well not exist because he has
no effect whatever on me, nor shall he.

Your god isn't needed to explain the universe satisfactorily and he
isn't needed to construct a moral and just society. So what IS he needed
for?

What does that have to do with anything?

See above. Occam's razor and all that.

He IS needed by a number of bigots and intolerants (hello to my friends
at Bob Jones University) as justification for perfidity.

Christianity as a whole can't be measured by those bigots and those
bigots alone. But when a system or moral seems to consistenty produce
flawed people who wreak havoc, perhaps we have to ask if that system
itself is flawed.

c/Christianity/America
c/Christianity/Atheism
c/Christianity/Capitolism

Go ahead and try to prove that America/Atheism/Capitalism (I shan't
defend Capitol-ism as I think there isn't much good coming from the US
Capitol these days :-) ) consistently produces flawed people. *Produces*
mind you, not just suffers to exist. My assertion, now that you've
pushed me into making it instead of letting sleeping dogs lie, is that
christianity is indeed a system that produces flawed people,
consistently, because to practice it is to be morally flawed.

That's right, it's actively bad for people to be christian and the more
christian they are, the worse off they are. Further, it's actively bad
for a society to be influenced by christianity and the more influenced
it is, the worse off it is. IMHO.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!