 Off-Topic / Debate / 4793
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:56:18 GMT

James Brown wrote:
There was a time in human history when all the objective rational evidence
pointed against the earth being round.

Cite, please. The rational evidence pointed FOR it being round, it was
the christian church that was suppressing it to enforce a flat earth,
terracentric viewpoint, as I recall. As far back as we can go in
history, we have evidence that people had decided the earth was round
and were engaged in trying to determine diameter. Fairly successfully
too, as I recall.

Ok, did some digging of my own, and find myself hoist on a petard, presumably
my own.  My example died, but the point is still extant.  Simply because
science (objective rational evidence) does not provide for somethings existance
does not mean it doesn't exist.  Is light a wave or a particle?  What would the
answer be 100 years ago?  200?

Science is evolving, and the body of scientific knowledge is increasing, but it
can still be delimited more by what it doesn't reveal than by what it does
reveal.

Your point?  Nothing in the current body of knowledge (from a scientific
point of view) can either prove or disprove the existance of God or god or
gods.  He was claiming knowledge without factual evidence - the very same
thing he was decrying.

If all phenomena can be satisfactorily explained without a particlar
mechanism, that mechanism isn't needed. It is on the asserter to prove
the existence of the mechanism, not those who are happily predicting
events away to disprove it. The onus is on you, if you can't prove the
existence, you're wrong, not on me if I can't disprove it. Your job is
to find some objective phenomena that can't be explained without
positing an omnipotent being. Some verifiable objective phenomena. Else
you are just indulging in (pleasurable to you, and that's fine) mental
masturbation.

Where exactly did I start trying to prove anything?  All I have said is that
lack of evidence does not necessarily indicate non-existance.  Occam's razor
notwithstanding.

Maybe it'll help, and get less of a knee-jerk "religion is evil"
response if I take God out of the sentence:
  Lacking evidence either way, claiming to know X doesn't exist is as false as
claiming X does exist.

Christianity as a whole can't be measured by those bigots and those
bigots alone. But when a system or moral seems to consistenty produce
flawed people who wreak havoc, perhaps we have to ask if that system
itself is flawed.

c/Christianity/America
c/Christianity/Atheism
c/Christianity/Capitolism

Go ahead and try to prove that America/Atheism/Capitalism (I shan't
defend Capitol-ism as I think there isn't much good coming from the US
Capitol these days :-) ) consistently produces flawed people. *Produces*
mind you, not just suffers to exist.

The incidence of violent crime in America, over the past 200 years.  Or is that
"suffered to exist"?

(whoops! CapitAlism!)

My assertion, now that you've pushed me into making it instead of letting
sleeping dogs lie, is that christianity is indeed a system that produces
flawed people, consistently, because to practice it is to be morally flawed.

That's right, it's actively bad for people to be christian and the more
christian they are, the worse off they are. Further, it's actively bad
for a society to be influenced by christianity and the more influenced
it is, the worse off it is. IMHO.

If you insist.  I disagree, but that's obvious by now.  I think you've got a
very flawed idea of christianity, though.  What criteria are you using to
define christian?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.