 Off-Topic / Debate / 4756
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:04:45 GMT

James Brown wrote:

You don't know there isn't a god.  You *believe* there isn't a god.

And I don't know that monkeys aren't about to fly out of my butt either.
But all the objective rational evidence, that is, stuff that can be used
to make meaningful predictions, stuff that can be measured and tested,
points against it.

There was a time in human history when all the objective rational evidence
pointed against the earth being round.  Your point?  Nothing in the current
body of knowledge (from a scientific point of view) can either prove or
disprove the existance of God or god or gods.  He was claiming knowledge
without factual evidence - the very same thing he was decrying.

Your god isn't needed to explain the universe satisfactorily and he
isn't needed to construct a moral and just society. So what IS he needed
for?

What does that have to do with anything?

He IS needed by a number of bigots and intolerants (hello to my friends
at Bob Jones University) as justification for perfidity.

Christianity as a whole can't be measured by those bigots and those
bigots alone. But when a system or moral seems to consistenty produce
flawed people who wreak havoc, perhaps we have to ask if that system
itself is flawed.

c/Christianity/America
c/Christianity/Atheism
c/Christianity/Capitolism

I could make as solid a case for each of those as you could for Christianity.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.