 Off-Topic / Debate / 28591
Re: We Should've Listened to Dick Cheney
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:03:48 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   This guy sounds like he really knows what he’s talking about. Too bad he doesn’t have any influence over U.S. foreign policy today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY

I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. Two years later we ourselves made flights. This demonstration of my impotence as a prophet gave me such a shock that ever since I have distrusted myself and avoided all predictions.

Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) (In a speech to the Aero Club of France, Nov 5, 1908)

The difference is that Cheney’s prediction in 1994 was *exactly* correct. Current events clearly show that invading Iraq without broad support from our allies resulted in a quagmire.

Ahh, thanks for dusting off and bringing the Q word into the discussion!

I guess you didn’t bother to watch the video. Dick himself used the Q-word to describe the aftermath of a unilateral invasion of Iraq. But that was before he used it to mock people who said operation Blood For Oil was a Bad Idea.

   If you think that any of the homicide bombers over the years would have reconsidered their actions because there had been broad support for the invasion of Iraq, you are mistaken. Clearly we are winning in Iraq as evidenced by the disgusting actions of homicide bombers who target innocents. They know that they cannot stand up to the military might of the US, so they prey on innocent Iraqi women and children, hoping that Iraqis will blame our presence, instead of their own inhumanity for their savagery.

Four years after Bush claimed victory in Iraq, we are still trying to contain the insurgency, cobble together a workable government, prevent civil war, and restore electricity and basic services to the cities we leveled. It took less time for us to go from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima/Nagasaki during WWII. If that’s your idea of “winning” then I have a new understanding of your idea of what makes a “great president.”

   Are you saying that in 2003 Cheney was so certain of his “impotence as a prophet” that he figured he must have been wrong and we’d be greeted with flowers instead? How would he know which one of his prophesies to believe? And in any case, how does that qualify him to be second in command of this once-great nation?

Once-great nation? Please.

Open your eyes. The US is in an accelerated decline, and the rest of the world is happy to see us go down. We can’t even take care of our own, our infrastructure is crumbling, economy in the toilet as the country’s mortgage woes spread across the entire economy...

   Why is it that some people will defend these slimebags

“These slimebags”? Let me guess: anyone with an (R) after their name?

I’m not too happy with the slimebags on either side of the aisle these days.

   even in the face of undeniable evidence of their gross incompetence and criminal negligence?

Which “undeniable evidence” is that, exactly? “Gross incompetence”? (Cite?) Criminal negligence? The charges are what, again?

Gross incompetence: Remember New Orleans? Criminal Negligence: Illegal invasion of Iraq - Bush still hasn’t satisfied the requirements of the Senate resolution authorizing the invasion. Politicizing the DOJ by firing/refusing to hire staffers on the basis of their party affiliation. Awarding no-bid contracts to Halliburton? Illegal wiretapping of US citizens’ private communications? Violating the Geneva Convention and pissing away what little moral authority this country still had.

I was actually being nice - there’s nothing negligent about their crimes. They’ve committed treason six ways to Sunday by selling us out to their special interest lobbies.

   Even if things go right in Iraq, you will never accept it anyway, so this whole discussion is rather mute. I betting that you’re still fuming about the 2000 election.....

I think you mean “moot.” But you said it yourself: “Even if things go right in Iraq.” I thought you said we were winning...?

I’m over the 2000 election, John. I’m even over the 2004 election. President Lame Duck shot himself in the wing by bragging about all the political capital that he supposedly earned when he took the election by less than 1% of the vote. What have these jokers actually accomplished in the last 6.5 years? I predict another year-and-a-half of Bush/Cheney laying low.

I think the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate any shred of competence on their part. Please, I’m all ears - name three major accomplishments of the Bush administration. (And no, the fact that we haven’t been hit by a meteorite while he’s been in office doesn’t count.)